Gum Disease Treatments
Gum disease is a threat to your dental health, but it can be treated and even prevented with proper dental care. When you meet with our skilled Columbia cosmetic dentist Nick Pournaras, we can assess for the advancement of gum disease, and create a successful treatment plan to restore your oral health.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is one of the most common dental problems among patients of all ages. Also called periodontal disease, gum disease is an inflammation of the gums that damages tissues and bone inside a patient's mouth, and can eventually lead to tooth loss. When bacteria are not removed through brushing, flossing, or professional dental cleanings, it forms plaque, a sticky film that hardens into tartar on the surface of the tooth. Plaque and tartar cause gum irritation, resulting in gums that are swollen, red, and bleed easily. As gum disease increases in severity, other dental problems such as persistent bad breath, oral infections, and gum recession may occur, culminating in tooth loss.
Treatments of Gum Disease
If gum disease is negatively affecting your dental health, we offer a variety of modern cosmetic and restorative treatments to effectively combat the effects of the disease. Common gum disease treatments include:
- Deep Cleanings. During a deep periodontal cleaning, non-invasive techniques are used to carefully root surfaces and clean pockets in the gums. Antimicrobials are often applied after cleaning to ensure plaque and tarter are thoroughly removed.
- Dental Crowns. If a tooth is significantly decayed or structurally damaged, a dental crown is a durable and natural-looking solution. We feature superior results for our Columbia dental crowns patients. Our crowns are custom-crafted from porcelain by master ceramist Dr. Wayne Payne, and then expertly placed on the tooth by Dr. Pournaras.
- Dental Implants. Advanced gum disease is a common cause of missing teeth. A missing tooth is certainly an aesthetic flaw, but it also leaves patients at risk of smile and bite alterations resulting from teeth that have shifted out of position due to excess space. Dental implants are the longest-lasting tooth replacement method available. A dental implant offers many benefits, and will restore the function of your bite while preventing teeth from moving. Our attractive synthetic teeth are created by Dr. Payne to ensure beautiful results.
- Soft Tissue Management. When gum disease causes deterioration of the gums, soft tissue management, or gum therapy, can be performed to repair the damage.
- Proper Oral Care. Good oral hygiene is the key to fighting gum disease. In addition to regular tooth brushing and flossing, regular dental cleanings are necessary to address issues related to gum disease, as well as help prevent the disease. During a checkup, Dr. Pournaras can also assist patients in establishing a successful dental hygiene routine.
Contact Columbia Smiles Cosmetic Dentistry
Dr. Pournaras and our caring staff are looking forward to helping you win the battle against gum disease. Contact our Columbia cosmetic dentistry center at your convenience to schedule a consultation or learn more about our advanced treatment options.