Advantages and Disadvantages of Dentures
For hundreds of years, dentures have been essential for people with missing teeth, and recent advances in dentistry have resulted in dentures that are more comfortable, attractive, and functional than ever before. At our Columbia cosmetic dentistry center, Dr. Nick Pournaras offers the latest technology for patients who have missing or damaged teeth. Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of modern dentures can help patients to feel more confident about what to expect from their treatment.
Advantages of Dentures
Dentures are dental appliances made for the replacement of teeth. Patients suffering from missing or damaged teeth should be aware of the many advantages dentures offer.
- Function: In the past, dentures were made primarily for chewing, but our modern dentures are designed to be comfortable, aesthetically pleasing, and fully functional. During the fitting process, Dr. Pournaras ensures your dentures will sit properly with minimal slipping so that you can feel confident during daily activities like chewing and talking.
- Versatility: Dentures are available in several different types, including full or partial sets. Full dentures are ideal for patients who have lost some or most of their teeth, while partial dentures are useful for filling in gaps of several missing teeth. Implant-supported dentures are a great option for patients who want a durable, non-removable denture.
- Aesthetics: Our top-quality dentures are available in natural-looking porcelain or plastic materials for smile-beautifying results.
- Health: Dentures support facial muscles and structures, and decrease oral bone loss. Dentures have also been shown to improve self-esteem in patients.
- Cost: Dentures are a cost-effective treatment option, particularly when more natural teeth are present.
Disadvantages of Dentures
Although modern dentistry has eliminated many of the disadvantages commonly associated with dentures, there are some concerns patients should be aware of when considering dentures as a treatment option. Dentures must be removed and cleaned regularly to avoid infections or disease, including bad breath. Cheap or improperly fit dentures may be uncomfortable and can move around in the mouth, causing pain and chewing difficulties. To help patients avoid these problems, it’s vital to visit a skilled dentist like Dr. Pournaras.
Dentures are only one of the procedures available for the treatment of missing or damaged teeth. Our other quality dental treatments include:
- Dental Implants -The most advanced option today for replacing missing teeth, a dental implant features long-lasting and attractive effects. Dr. Pournaras has achieved excellent results for our Columbia dental implant patients. Dental implants are placed securely into the patient's jawbone, and prevent neighboring teeth from shifting position. As the implant heals, it fuses with the bone for unsurpassed comfort and functionality. Dental implants can be used in combination with implant-supported dentures and dental bridges.
- Porcelain Veneers - If you want to restore the aesthetics of your smile, porcelain veneers can rejuvenate teeth that are otherwise healthy. Veneers are ultra-thin porcelain sheaths that are affixed to the front of the tooth and can mask a variety of cosmetic dental flaws.
Learn More about Dentures at Columbia Smiles
Dr. Pournaras and our smile experts are looking forward to assisting you with custom dentures or any of our other dental treatments. To schedule a consultation, please contact our Columbia dentistry center at your convenience.